TIMSS 2011 International Results in Mathematics
The TIMSS 2011 International Results in Mathematics summarizes fourth and eighth grade student achievement in each of the 63 countries and 14 benchmarking entities which participated in TIMSS 2011. The report includes trends in mathematics achievement over time for participants in the previous TIMSS 1995, 1999, 2003, and 2007 assessments, as well as student performance at the TIMSS International Benchmarks. Achievement results also are presented for mathematics content and cognitive domains. The Mathematics Report provides a rich array of information which describes the educational contexts for mathematics, including home environment support, students' backgrounds and attitudes toward mathematics, the mathematics curriculum, teachers' education and training, classroom characteristics and activities, and school contexts for mathematics learning and instruction.
Publications are available in Portable Document Format (PDF). You may need to download a copy of Adobe Reader, to enable you to read and print the reports, or press the Adobe icon.
The TIMSS 2011 International Results in Mathematics also is available in a printed and bound volume, which can be ordered for a fee of US$50.00. Shipping and handling costs for orders within the U.S. are $5.00. Shipping and handling costs for international orders are US$20.00. Print a faxable order form.
Download by chapter:
- Front Matter
- Executive Summary
- Chapter 1: International Achievement in Mathematics
- Chapter 2: Performance at the TIMSS 2011 International Benchmarks
- Chapter 3: International Student Achievement in the TIMSS Mathematics Content and Cognitive Domains
- Chapter 4: Home Environment Support for Mathematics Achievement
- Chapter 5: School Resources for Teaching Mathematics
- Chapter 6: School Climate
- Chapter 7: Teacher Preparation
- Chapter 8: Classroom Instruction
- Appendix A: Countries Participating in TIMSS 2011 and in Earlier TIMSS Assessments
- Appendix B: Characteristics of the Items in the TIMSS 2011 Assessment
- Appendix C: Population Coverage and Sample Participation Rates
- Appendix D: Percentage of Students with Achievement Too Low for Estimation
- Appendix E: Average Percent Correct in the Mathematics Content and Cognitive Domains
- Appendix F: The Test-Curriculum Matching Analysis—Mathematics
- Appendix G: Percentiles and Standard Deviations of Mathematics Achievement
- Appendix H: Organizations and Individuals Responsible for TIMSS 2011
TIMSS and PIRLS are registered trademarks of IEA. Use of these trademarks without permission of IEA by others may constitute trademark infringement. Furthermore, the website and its contents, together with all online and/or printed publications and released items by TIMSS, PIRLS, and IEA are and will remain the copyright of IEA.
All publications and released items by TIMSS, PIRLS, and IEA, as well as translations thereof, are for non-commercial, educational, and research purposes only. Prior notice is required when using IEA data sources for assessments or learning materials. IEA reserves the right to refuse copy deemed inappropriate or not properly sourced.
Commercial exploitation, distribution, redistribution, reproduction and/or transmitting in any form or by any means, including electronic or mechanical methods such as photocopying, information storage and retrieval system of these publications, released items, translations thereof and/or part thereof are prohibited unless written permission has been provided by IEA.
When quoting and/or citing from one or more publications and/or released items from TIMSS, PIRLS, and IEA for the sake of educational or research purposes, please print an acknowledgment of the source, including the year and name of that publication and/or released item. Please use the following acknowledgment as an example:
SOURCE: TIMSS 2007 Assessment. Copyright © 2009 International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA). Publisher: TIMSS & PIRLS International Study Center, Lynch School of Education, Boston College.
Please note that citing without naming the source can or will constitute plagiarism for which you can and will be held accountable. To request permission to reuse, reproduce, or translate IEA material, please fill out the permission request form »
Please note that the website and its contents, together with all online and/or printed publications and released items (‘works’) by TIMSS, PIRLS, and IEA, were created with the utmost care. However, the correctness of the information cannot be guaranteed at all times and IEA cannot and will not be held responsible or liable for any damages that may arise from the use of these resources, nor will IEA be liable for the wrongful use and/or interpretation of its works.
Please be advised that IEA cannot authorize the use of texts or items that include third- party copyrighted materials (e.g., reading passages, photographs, images). Users of any third-party copyrighted materials must first seek and be granted copyright permission from the owner of the content as indicated in the copyright citation line.
Errata for printed version of TIMSS 2011 International Results in Mathematics
(The above electronic files include the changes noted below.)
- Corrections were made to Exhibit 6.10 and associated text (pp.265, 272-273).